AMD Proprietary Linux Release Notes
This release note provides information on the latest posting of AMD's Proprietary Linux driver version 8.33.6
The AMD Linux release notes provides information on the following:
- Web Content
- ATI Workstation Product Support
- ATI Mobility™ Product Support
- ATI Integrated Product Support
- ATI Desktop Product Family Support
- Operating Systems Distributions Supported
- System Requirements
- New Features
- Resolved Issues
- Known Issues
- Installing the AMD Proprietary Linux Software Driver
- Driver Update Notification
- AMD Customer Care
- Linux Feedback Program
The ATI Catalyst™ Linux software suite is available in both RPM format and through an Installer executable. You should verify your distribution uses RPM before downloading RPM packages.
Note: The packages are available for XFree86 version 4.3, as well as X.org 6.8. One of these two versions must be installed before installing the ATI Catalyst™ Linux software suite
Note: Refer to the minimum system requirements listed below to ensure you have downloaded the correct driver package for your system.
ATI Workstation Product Support
The ATI Catalyst™ Linux software suite is designed to support the following ATI Workstation products:
FireMV™ 2200 (Single card PCI-e configuration)
Mobility™ FireGL™ V5000
Mobility™ FireGL™ T2
ATI Mobility™ Product Support
The ATI Catalyst™ Linux software suite is designed to support the following ATI Mobility™ products:
Mobility™ Radeon® X1800
Mobility™ Radeon® X300
Mobility™ Radeon® X1600
Mobility™ Radeon® 9800
Mobility™ Radeon® X1400
Mobility™ Radeon® 9600
Mobility™ Radeon® X1300
Mobility™ Radeon® 9550
Mobility™ Radeon® X800
Mobility™ Radeon® 9500
Mobility™ Radeon® X700
Radeon® Xpress 200M series
Mobility™ Radeon® X600
ATI Integrated Product Support
The ATI Catalyst™ Linux software suite is designed to support the following ATI Integrated products:
ATI Desktop Product Family Support
The ATI Catalyst™ Linux software suite is designed to support the following ATI desktop products:
Radeon® X1900 series
Radeon® X600 series
Radeon® X1800 series
Radeon® X550/X300 series
Radeon® X1600 series
Radeon® 9800 series
Radeon® X1300 series
Radeon® 9700 series
Radeon® X850 series
Radeon® 9600 series
Radeon® X800 series
Radeon® 9550 series
Radeon® X700 series
Radeon® 9500 series
Note: All-In-Wonder™ variants based on the above are also supported. Video capture however is not supported.
Note: Software driver support for ATI FireGL™, Integrated, Mobility™ and Desktop products prior to the Radeon® 9500 is available from ati.com
Operating Systems Distributions Supported
The latest version of the ATI Catalyst™ Linux software suite is designed to support the following Linux distributions:
Note: The ATI Catalyst™ Linux software suite may install on a number of other Linux distributions. Refer to the Package Generation installation instructions for more information.
Note: AMD has accepted contributed packaging scripts to allows creation of other packages, but does not necessarily test, verify or warrant the reliability. Currently Red Hat Enterprise Linux suite and Novell/SuSE product suite are supported Linux distributions
Before attempting to install the ATI Catalyst™ Linux software suite, the following software must be installed:
- XOrg 6.7, 6.8, 6.9, 7.0, or 7.1; XFree86 version 4.3
- Linux kernel 2.4 or higher
- glibc version 2.2 or 2.3
- POSIX Shared Memory (/dev/shm) support is required for 3D applications
The ATI Catalyst™ Linux software suite no longer provides precompiled Kernel Modules; all installations require GCC compiler and kernel-headers or kernel-source in order to enable 2D and 3D acceleration.
For best performance and ease of use, AMD recommends the following:
- Kernel module build environment - should include the following:
- ISSE Support enabled in your Linux Kernel
- The rpm utility should be installed and configured correctly on your system, if you intend to install via RPM packages
- QT version 2.x.x is needed for the ATI Control Panel, but is not mandatory
Note: The following 32 bit packages must be installed in order for 64 bit drivers to install and work properly:
This release of Catalyst® Linux introduces the following new features:
X.Org 7.2 Support
This release of the ATI Catalyst™ Linux software driver provides support for the offical X.Org 7.2 release. The previous release (8.32.5) supported the X Org 7.2 RC2 release only.
Linux Kernel 2.6.19 Support
This release of the ATI Catalyst™ Linux software suite supports version 2.6.19 of the Linux Kernel.
The following section provide a brief description of resolved issues with the latest version of the ATI Catalyst™ Linux software suite. These include:
- Enabling Stereo on a FireGL V5000 no longer results in corruption being noticed on the X-Windows desktop. Further details can be found in topic number 737-25218
- Running through the package gerneration installation of the ATI Proprietary Linux driver no longer results in the continue button remaining greyed out when selecting a package to be generated. Further details can be found in topic number 737-25219
- The ATI Control Panel no longer gets installed when running through the Custom Installation and de-selecting the Control Panel component. Further details can be found in topic number 737-25220
- Connecting two display devices and switching the overlay to the secondary display device no longer causes aticonfig to fail. Further details can be found in topic number 737-25221
The following section provides a brief description of known issues associated with the latest version of ATI Catalyst™ Linux software suite. These issues include:
- Attempting to install the ATI Catalyst™ Linux software suite on distributions that have updated certain 3D components outside of the stock XOrg 6.8.2 may result in the driver not initializing 3D applications properly. Further details can be found in topic number 737-20868
- Loading the XVideo Extension on 64-bit Xorg 6.9+ systems causes the X Server to segfault on launch with Radeon X1K products. Further details and the workaround can be found in topic number 737-22837
- A system hang may occur when attempting to resume from hibernation mode. Further details can be found in topic number 737-22059
For further information and general help on driver or software installation, game issues, and more, visit the ATI FAQ website.
Installing the AMD Proprietary Linux Software Driver
Installation information can be found at: www.ati.com/install
Driver Update Notification
To receive driver notifications, add the following RSS feed to your RSS reader: http://ati.amd.com/online/rss/atilinuxdriver.rss
Note: In order to receive notifications you will need to have an RSS reader installed.
AMD Customer Care
The AMD Customer Care website provides a high level of technical support and easy of navigation. The AMD Customer Care website provides accurate and up-to-date product support for optimum usability and performance. Technical issues are categorized and personalized to enhance user experience. The AMD Customer Care Website can be found at: support.ati.com
To view a known or resolved issue, do the following:
- Go to: support.ati.com. The AMD Customer Care web page is displayed.
- In the top left hand pane, click Advanced Search. The Advanced Search pane is displayed.
- Under Search Type: Select the By: ID option.
- Enter the Topic number.
- Click Go.
Linux Feedback Program
The ATI Catalyst™ Linux software suite releases may incorporate suggestions received through the Linux feedback program.
Please refer to http://apps.ati.com/linuxDfeedback/ to provide us with feedback.
| Advanced Micro Devices Inc.
Voice: (905) 882-2600
Fax: (905) 882-2620